The Europa Point Lighthouse is the only British lighthouse in service which lies outside the British Isles. Located at Europa Point, Gibraltar, it was inaugurated in 1841 during the reign of Queen Victoria, and the project was supervised by Sir Alexander George Woodford, at that time governor and commander-in-chief of Gibraltar, with the help of the Masonic Lodge of Gibraltar.
Prior to the opening of the lighthouse, the only reference mariners had when passing through the Straits was the light from the church Shrine of our Lady of Europe. Initially, the light functioned with an oil lamp which emitted a constant beam of variable intensity. It has been managed by Trinity House UK since 1994, when it was automated, equipped with a complete computerised system, and fitted with a flashing halogen lamp which can be seen from a distance of 26 km.
In 2017, Bright Co, the company entrusted with the refurbishment of the lighthouse, assigned the execution of the scaffolding project to Resa Group: this started on 22 May 2017 and ended on 11 July. All the calculations were performed at the Engineering Department of Resa Group. Using the 12.5 tonnes of scaffolding supplied, two perimeters were created around the lighthouse at different heights, facilitating access to the whole outer surface for the restoration work. The material supplied by Resa Group was Multidirectional Resablok System in its entirety, patented and manufactured by Resa.
The work consists of two assemblies: one circular perimeter scaffolding for the tower, from the base to the balcony at a height of 20 metres; and the circular perimeter scaffolding for the lamp, which is supported by the balcony, to the top 8 metres higher.